Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 22:21:33 +0300

On 17.05.2020 21:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
What happened here was something completely different.  "Here's a new
package, it does this and that." -- "Not sure we should have it in
core, how about if you put it on ELPA for the time being?"

Yes, we did say that.

And then, we never went back to reconsider, to put any of such packages into the core.

And we never got any complaints about that, either.

So I'm saying it's generally a good thing for most packages, to be put into ELPA instead. We didn't explain that outright (which is suboptimal), but it seems like most submitters realized this afterward.

Some of them probably haven't been aware of GNU ELPA initially, too.