Re: What is GNU ELPA?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What is GNU ELPA?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 21:05:21 +0300

On 17.05.2020 05:48, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > > Will users see that explanation
   > > in the normal workflow of using packages from GNU ELPA?

   > I'm not sure they need to.

We want them to know this, and it seems we are not reaching most of
them with this information.  What can we do to reach them better?

The idea that occurs to me is to make M-x load-package tell them,
occasionally.  Perhaps the first time each user runs it.
Perhaps once a year after that.

The first time it is run sounds fine to me. "A years later" sounds more puzzling. Although it all depends on what we actually want to write there.

Any other suggestions?

If there was a more prominent place where Emacs introduced the users to ELPA (say, Getting Started guide, the tutorial, or the startup screen), some extra explanation could also be there.