Emacs 23.4 arm64 build

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Emacs 23.4 arm64 build
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 13:32:12 +0200

Hello,

I need help/guidance regarding Emacs 23.4 builds on arm64.

When I try to build it it says:

checking build system type... /opt/emacs/config.guess: unable to guess system type
This script, last modified 2009-09-18, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD
and
  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD
If the version you run (/opt/emacs/config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <address@hidden> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.
config.guess timestamp = 2009-09-18
uname -m = aarch64
uname -r = 4.15.0-72-generic
uname -s = Linux
uname -v = #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:21:09 UTC 2019
/usr/bin/uname -p =
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              =
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

UNAME_MACHINE = aarch64
UNAME_RELEASE = 4.15.0-72-generic
UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
UNAME_VERSION = #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:21:09 UTC 2019
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

Internet says I should try to get a newer version of config.guess and config.sub but my attempt failed, I simply tried to copy-paste the one from `24.1`.

My question is fairly simple: is this a dead end? Should I just give up on arm64 Emacs 23.4 images? If you say it'd work with a bit of fighting I'll try harder tho.

I ask because in order for it to build, I have to install texinfo 4.13 manually (Emacs 23.4 does not build with texinfo 5+) and of course texinfo suffers from the same arm64 problem, so I'd need to figure configure for both of them, or patch 23.4 to work with texinfo 5.

Thanks,
Philippe