RE: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: RE: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 20:13:40 -0700

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> So Emacs shouldn't offer such a choice (OOTB) for
> the many window managers (most?) that are capable
> of putting a minibuffer frame at the bottom of
> your screen?

I wouldn't be against having the minibuffer in a frame as optional
behaviour.

>> Agreed.  Top positioning might be better for other
>> reasons though.
>
> What reasons?

Well, a visual hierarchy usually starts at the top.  For example when
you read a book, a newspaper or browse the web.

There have been studies on eye-tracking on web pages, which show that
people generally start reading at the top left.

But I'm not an expert at UI design, so please take my opinion with a
grain of salt.  Maybe someone who took the time to study the question in
earnest could come up with a better answer.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas