Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 00:48:00 +0900

> On May 18, 2020, at 0:25, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 18:07:54 +0900
>> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>,
>> Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>,
>> Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>> Karl Fogel <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden,
>> Sergey Organov <address@hidden>,
>> Stefan Kangas <address@hidden>,
>> Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>>
>> I mean in macos it *is*. By default. I would love to have a similar feature
>> by default in emacs.
>
> This happens on macOS because that's what users of that system
> expect.

? No. macos users don't expect a floating kind of system "minibuffer". That's
actually unlike the rest of macos UI. But it happens to exist (that's
"Spotlight" in case you want to know and it is an *extremely* limited
"minibuffer", by emacs standards.)

I was just mentioning that vs Drew's "in emacs the mini buffer *can* be in a
frame". Because *that* requires a lot of manually installing packages that he
refers to here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs

Which seems to be very nice, by the way.

> I don't think we should follow that on all the other platforms.

Sure. But as far as the UI/UX is concerned, it's actually existing and can be
tested to see if a similar UI could work with emacs too. At least, macos users
would not be surprised, because there are lots of applications that "extend"
spotlight or want to replace it altogether, like Butler, Quicksilver and the
likes.

Jean-Christophe Helary