Re: Deleting old `:version` from defcustoms (was: master b76cdd0: Delete

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Deleting old `:version` from defcustoms (was: master b76cdd0: Delete libraries obsolete since 23.1 and 23.2)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 20:18:54 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I did a quick `grep` to see the functions/vars that were obsoleted in
> the same time frame, and I saw instead a deluge of
>
>     :version "23.1"
>
> If we consider those thingies old enough to remove their obsolete
> functions, shouldn't we also remove the corresponding `:version`
> thingies from `defcustom`s?
>
> I see:
> - 1 defcustom with a :version of 19.29
> - >200 defcustoms with a :version of 20.x
> - a bit less than 200 defcustoms with a :version of 21.x
> - >400 defcustoms with a :version of 22.x
> - >200 defcustoms with a :version of 23.x

I realize I don't fully understand the purpose of the :version
declarations.  If it's mostly to let users know what changed, they can
probably be removed for these very old versions.

But are they also intended to provide a historical record?  If so, maybe
they should be kept indefinitely.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas