Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 23:34:15 +0300

On 16.05.2020 23:05, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Which capabilities are you referring to more exactly here?  I'm not too
familiar with the details, so please forgive me if this is obvious.

Switching between buffers using a mouse. Well, I mean, we do have a menu for that, but... Is that really better than fuzzy matching in the minibuffer?

OTOH, we don't have fuzzy matching by default either. Hmm.

I have never thought about it, but I personally think it's a very good
idea.  In combination with that, simple changes like giving it a border
or a different background, would also help make it more visible.

Yup.

One frequent annoyance for me in more "modern" software is that the
popups hide the thing they are about.  For example, a "Search and
replace" dialog box positioned on top of the text it matches, so you
have to manually move the dialog box around to see what you're doing.
I think we should try to avoid that, at least by default, so maybe the
top positioning is a better default than in the center.

It could probably be configurable with little effort.

One big improvement I expect from such a feature personally is no more jumping of windows when the minibuffer goes multiline.

I have never used them.

I install them occasionally, to see how things change over time.

Do you mean something like this (found on a
quick search)?

https://flight-manual.atom.io/using-atom/images/goto.png

Or could you provide a better screenshot or video of that?

Some other examples:

https://code.visualstudio.com/assets/docs/editor/editingevolved/symbol.png

Or: https://yann-leguilly.gitlab.io/img/no-member_vs_code/settings.webp

Or: https://vscode.rocks/static/fe22cb8c64e112b3acd1b9e6595bc498/0d2bd/file_search.png