Re: What is GNU ELPA?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What is GNU ELPA?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 03:07:06 +0300

On 15.05.2020 18:08, Howard Melman wrote:
A very
       popular server is @uref{https://melpa.org, MELPA} but note
       that it contains some software that recommends non-free
       software.

This sounds very circumspect. As a user, *I* don't have to fear something recommending me something. Or else that would imply some ostrich-like behavior. Those who avoid proprietary software, take care to do it. Those who don't, don't care.

If we must say something, let's try factual: some packages in there depend on non-free software being installed. Even so, that sounds unnecessarily negative to me, given that (by some very rough estimate) the fraction of such packages there is <5%.