Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 03:03:00 +0300

On 16.05.2020 01:14, Arthur Miller wrote:
I dont' know if others are like me and just want to do their typing, or
if Emacs is nowdays better at introducing itself, but I remember my
first time with it, and it was annoying.

It's probably better "at introducing itself" too, but not by orders of magnitude. But it for sure can do more, both with advancements in the core and with considerable help from the third-party community and the overall language support ecosystem (LSP, for example).

So it's quite powerful from the outset. And okay, maybe it will take some users a few months to start writing their own commands (and some will simply never do it), but it all depends on how they were introduced to Emacs, and what their immediate needs are.