Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 13:11:02 +1000

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 03:49, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, the only thing vscode doesn't have is rapid prototyping, extending the
> environment quickly. Writing an extension for it is much more cumbersome (no
> built-in docs for the api either, you have to browse the web for that), but
> most users don't write extensions anyway, they just want to use existing
> ones, so this doesn't concern them.

Indeed, I think what sets Emacs apart, really, is the effort that's been
made since the very early design to try and abolish the boundary between
"user" and "developer" and make it as easy as possible to get
something going.

        Stefan

+1 and likely the aspect of Emacs we should emphasise. With VS code, you cannot easily create a workflow with a high level of automation that is project specific. There are lots of extensions you can add which will deal with 'standard' workflow components, but no easy way to glue them all together and implement automated steps.  In Emacs, using and programming your environment to meet your needs are blurred and enable you to do things your way, not someone elses way.

--
regards,

Tim

--