Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 14:28:08 +0100

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 07:32:02AM -0400, Stefan Kangas wrote:

> IMHO, we should not promote third-party "init files" as a primary
> option, but rather improve Emacs itself.

Maybe we should embrace them, and provide tools to build custom Emacs
distributions. Put absolutely everything that isn’t absolutely
required for Emacs into ELPA so there’s a core Emacs that is as basic
as it gets, then, I don’t know, use manifest files to build a
distribution that pulls in the stuff we need from ELPA or wherever
else.

We could provide our own ‘UNIX Neckbeards’ distribution, which is
simply Emacs as we know it now. ;)

Other, motivated, people could then do the heavy lifting of developing
and supporting so called modern distributions.

We sort of have this already with Aquamacs.
--
Alan Third