Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 10:58:17 +0000

> > I think people nowadays need an out-of-the-box experience, that's why
> > promoting doom-emacs or spacemacs might be better than the default
> > Emacs.

> This is valuable input, I think.

Someone else too made a similar proposal in a reddit comment:

begin quote:

IMO the very first thing a use should be greeted with is a dialog box that says
something along the lines of

"Hey, welcome to Emacs! Emacs is a very old editor with a ton of legacy we'd
like to preserve.
If you want a more modern experience, you can try these community-made configs
instead:

* Spacemacs [Install]: The best editor is neither Emacs nor Vim, it's Emacs and
Vim!
* Centaur Emacs [Install]: A Fancy and Fast Emacs Configuration
* Doom Emacs [Install]: An Emacs configuration for the stubborn martian vimmer
* CUA mode [Enable]: Use keybinds commonly found in other modern editors

[No thanks, II'd like to cook my own config]"

It'd be a very simple change but an immense improvement to the new user
experience.

end quote

Would it be acceptable to recommend popular startup packages on the splash
screen if the user has an active network connection?  I guess in that case it's
not a problem if it's not bundled with emacs, since emacs can install it from
the net by adding melpa to the package list automatically.