Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 07:32:02 -0400

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I think people nowadays need an out-of-the-box experience, that's why
>> > promoting doom-emacs or spacemacs might be better than the default
>> > Emacs.
>
>> This is valuable input, I think.
>
> Someone else too made a similar proposal in a reddit comment:

Thanks.  To be clear, I was referring to the part about the
out-of-the-box experience.

> Would it be acceptable to recommend popular startup packages on the
> splash screen if the user has an active network connection?  I guess
> in that case it's not a problem if it's not bundled with emacs, since
> emacs can install it from the net by adding melpa to the package list
> automatically.

IMHO, we should not promote third-party "init files" as a primary
option, but rather improve Emacs itself.

(But maybe we could consider promoting them in the FAQ?)

We have discussed to have "custom themes" (I proposed to rebrand them as
"profiles") which the user could potentially be prompted about on
initial startup.  I believe this would be worthwhile to explore further.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas