Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 18:46:07 +0300

On 08.05.2020 21:54, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
After thinking about that for a while, I came to the sad conclusion
that I no longer understand what is the relation between GNU ELPA and
the Emacs project.

I've always considered GNU ELPA to be the "blessed" package repository of Emacs. One where we have read the code of all packages and can confirm that they don't do anything malicious and don't use proprietary software. And aren't useless, I guess.

In any case, since we can't confirm the same of MELPA packages (at any time the author of a given package could push out a new version with some malicious payload inside; that's never happened, but still), we can't recommend them to the same extent.

That's why we have ELPA as the only package repository in new Emacs installations. And these are also the reasons why it's good to add new packages to it.