Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 16:12:02 +0300

On 09.05.2020 18:52, João Távora wrote:

I'm not sure for what purposes, but hooks are flexible enough for this
to be possible today already (without Eglot in the core).

Yes, that works.  But Eglot doesn't have only these kinds of interfaces.  It
also has generic functions.  I guess we could have just a "lsp-interface.el"
in the core that defines the generic functions and no implementations.

I suppose so. Though I'd like to look at its contents. So far I don't have any solid idea what this file would contain.

More generally, I oppose collecting more and more code inside Emacs.
Lots of features can live just as well as packages.

That's true.  Some things are desirable in the core though.  In my view
a proper completion tooltip that lives in the core and uses capf
exclusively is a nice thing to have.  I don't want to M-x package-install
completion-thingy.

One project that aimed to solve this was bundling a set of ELPA packages together in the Emacs distribution, while they generally continue to reside in ELPA. I agree that having a completion tooltip in there could be a good improvement.

A bit less sure about Eglot TBH (or any LSP client), because Emacs has a long history of alternative solutions in this field, and it would be best not to step on their toes either. So this will be a question of how to do this most unobtrusively but still help.

But even the usual argument to have stuff in the core ("what if I don't
have Internet?") doesn't work for Eglot, considering it needs to
download external programs anyway (or have the user download them).

True, to a point.  But the user could have those programs already,
or use Eglot to connect through the network. But that argument sucks,
I agree.  I do think once something is in the core it's more
discoverable/taken more seriously.  At least until we start bundling
packages.

I guess my opinion is that merging Eglot in won't help much, and there are other, smaller things we should start doing first. When we're do with them, maybe bundling is already on the table.