Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 15:08:20 +0100

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 2:12 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09.05.2020 18:52, João Távora wrote:
>
> >> I'm not sure for what purposes, but hooks are flexible enough for this
> >> to be possible today already (without Eglot in the core).
> > Yes, that works.  But Eglot doesn't have only these kinds of interfaces.  It
> > also has generic functions.  I guess we could have just a "lsp-interface.el"
> > in the core that defines the generic functions and no implementations.
> I suppose so. Though I'd like to look at its contents. So far I don't
> have any solid idea what this file would contain.

I think it's important to clarify something.  I'm not "selling" you
lsp-interface.el
in exchange for "Eglot in the core".  I'm just stating that if you're worried
about protecting the hypothetical, however unlikely, entrance of another
LSP client into Emacs, such a file can be developed from parts of Eglot.

In fact, I think it's a good idea to do so regardless of the possibility that
other LSP clients make it into the core.  And for sure you'll be able to
participate in its design.  But that goal isn't in any way mutually exclusive
with Eglot being in the core. Quite the contrary: it is facilitated by it.

In fact that's exactly what I did with jsonrpc.el (which lsp-mode.el never
took up) It was hard enough doing the two-repository dance then, and
I don't want to do that again.  So unless you state a negative,
irrefutable, irreparable consequence of having eglot.el developed in
emacs.git instead of some other place, I'll bring the issue to a discussion
with the Eglot developers, a group which you aren't (yet) a member of,
but whom I think are the main ones to consult regarding this this, since
Eli and Stefan haven't stated any objections with such a move.

João