Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: 조성빈
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 01:47:04 +0900

João Távora <address@hidden> 작성:

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM 조성빈 <address@hidden> wrote:

I’m not saying only about completion - I was thinking about things
like how C-h f isn’t really useful for function finding and we
should use C-h a and C-h d.

But I'm saying it _is_ useful. It IS useful to me. With flex.

Yes, that’s true, but flex, while is super useful (and I’m grateful to you
developing it), is still a hack that exists because the function names don’t
have good rules. (Why should everybody use flex, just to find functions?)

And
your proposal will make it much less useful, and that's bad.

I was answering Philippe, and he mentioned earlier that he's
a big fan of "Convention over Configuration" a philosophy
popularized in the 2000's by the RoR community.
I can’t see why CoC applies here - function names aren’t
‘configuration’, right?

No, but using `(setq completion-styles 'flex)` is. A pretty useful
bit of it too.  Maybe you try it for a while? It works with Company,
completion-at-point and, theoretically, with a new version of Helm.

In fact, I already use it - I use flex for both Company & Helm, it’s
wonderful. (As I have said already) Thanks for flex-completion, it’s super
useful to me.

However, IMO the fact that you can now search functions in C-h f a bit easily
doesn't mean that the functions can be less consistent.

You can also try M-x fido-mode.

Anyway, CoC is what Phillipe brought up, not me. It's a RoR thing,
and I was answering him.

Oh, I might have missed that. Sorry.

And Convention is pretty good, sure,
when you're starting from scratch.  So in your next new language,
by all means, use the Best Convention (TM).

Quite the contrary. I'm trying to convince you that it can
work with closer to that if you work towards it without
futzing up other people's, equally legitimate, ways of
thinking about symbol names.

Actually, IMO that ways of thinking symbol names should be
codified and be recommended - could you help in making some
emacs lisp API guidelines with that knowledge?

For new domains, surely?
Well, Elisp will gain some more core APIs in the future, so I was thinking
about that, but except from package prefixes, wouldn’t it be similar?

Like washing-machines.el or
little-green-men.el?  Sure, I can do that.  I have my own
conventions on how to name things (and they've changed
over the years, a lot, and they will probably change until
I'm dead.  I wouldn't recommend putting  a lot of weight in
them, though. You can check my latest packages, like
eglot.el or jsonrpc.el to see how I name things.

How do you think about this:

I think some preliminary conventions that Elisp already follows is that the
<action>-<object> scheme is for actions on the object like rename-file or
clear-string, and <object>-<property> scheme is for getting properties of the
object like string-width and file-name-extension. (I’m not considering
polymorphic ones.)

But then there are exceptions, like string-trim (which should then be
trim-string) or string-join (which should then be join-string).

João