Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 14:07:41 +0100

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I think "all in string-" or "all in string- or multibyte-" would work
> for me. Sure, the first time you try to find "multibyte" in in
> "string-" you fail but you rapidly know that from now only multibyte
> starts with multibyte. For example your list I'd do:
>
> multibyte-string-p -> multibyte-string-p
> string-to-multibyte -> multibyte-from-string
> string-as-multibyte -> multibyte-from-string-unsafe
> set-buffer-multibyte -> buffer-set-multibyte
> multibyte-char-to-unibyte -> multibyte-char-to-unibyte

[1]

Do you know what this would make to fine completion list
I gave you?  It would make it suck.  So you, the "bit of an
extremist" who "is annoyed by a little noise", are prepared to
introduce  an unimaginable amount of it into my and other's
workflows at the slightest difficulty and resistance to read
a fine manual.  I like Emacs because it respects people's
established workflows, and allows for programmers
to build on it, so they can use whatever workflow they
prefer.

Unfortunately, you're finding it a bit hard to support
your -- absolutely legitimate, mind you -- ruby-esque
ways.  But you should be working to have proper
namespacing so you can work with a magnar-string.el
or ruby-regexp.el library the way you feel more
confortable.  That takes work, yes, but at least it's a
win-win, not a lose-lose. If proper namespacing takes a lot
of work, then work on a powerful completion tool. I can
help you with that.  You're French, right? Imagine if
Google  decided they'd to the complete works of Raymond
Roussell from French to modern, easy-to-search, French.

João

PS: BTW let a monkey bite me if for each of those
proposed renames you don't start a separate
100-mail long bike-shedding war.