Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 22:52:05 -0400

  > > I think we could generate API lists like these
  > > automatically from the text of the Emacs Lisp Ref Manual.
  > > Just search through the chosen node (and its subnodes) for
  > > definition constructs, and process them to get calling sequences.

  > What would you suggest to do with the generated list?  How would users
  > access it?

There is no need for us to try to answer that.  The people who want
that kind of interface are the people who should work out the details.

They can try implementing it in various ways, decide what they prefer,
and offer us the code for it.

  > The main motivation for "renaming" was to have completion find those
  > names.  People who advance that proposal don't want to use apropos
  > instead of completion.  So we will need to extend the completion to do
  > the same trick you had in mind for apropos.

That won't be painful.  It isn't a fundamental or incompatible change.
It would take some work to implement -- but the people who want it can
do that work.

--
Dr Richard Stallman