Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 19:12:54 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 16:18:43 +0200
> Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>
>  I understand this very well, I'm just astonished to hear that this is
>  all the documentation you and some others want to see or have.  It's
>  completely against all I have ever learned and practiced in the way of
>  teaching people various skills and topics (and I did that more than
>  once or twice).
>
> No this is not what we are saying. Tutorials are not the only documentation I
> and others want to see.
>
> We like to switch between tutorials and full-blown documentation at different
> times depending on various
> factors. In Emacs there's only the full-blown documentation.

Then I really don't get it.  Tutorials are generally read only once,
when you first familiarize yourself with a topic and generally want
just the "taste" of it.  Once you are past that step, there's no
reason to go back to the tutorial, and the reference manual is the
main tool for learning and doing.

And yet you insist on seeing "tutorial-style" lists each time you need
some API, but don't really know which.  Why? this doesn't sound like
what people use tutorials for.

>  Emacs has a wealth of documentation at your fingertips, arranged,
>  indexed, and enriched with a large collection of commands designed to
>  make our self-documenting editor easy to study.  To give up all of
>  this and insist on having instead a flat list of APIs that match some
>  textual pattern is something that comes as a shock to me.
>
> We are not giving up on it. Some might but at least not me.

Well, you could have fooled me!  You started by saying that C-h
commands are virtually useless (maybe not in these words, but that's
the cruz of what you said back then).