Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 16:35:53 +0900

> On May 4, 2020, at 12:09, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> API lists are not tutorials. They are the reference manual, just
>> presented in a very condensed form. A user who is moderately
>> experienced with an API but has not committed it into memory will
>> sometimes forget exact names of functions, and a concise API list will
>> refresh his/her memory just enough to continue coding.
>
> That's a valid point.
>
> I think we could generate API lists like these
> automatically from the text of the Emacs Lisp Ref Manual.
> Just search through the chosen node (and its subnodes) for
> definition constructs, and process them to get calling sequences.
>
> Would someone like to try writing that?

There was a similar proposal in June 2017 in a thread titled "docstrings and
elisp reference" where I suggested that the docstrings could be used for that
purpose.

Considering that docstrings describe more functions than the manual does, would
you think that working on the dosctrings for what you describe above would be
better to expose emacs' APIs ?

Jean-Christophe Helary