Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 20:02:04 +0100

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:30 PM Helmut Eller <address@hidden> wrote:
> should be done by the compiler (like lexical scoping).  In other words,
> those people would like a mechanism to manage the names of variable
> bindings not a mechanism to manage symbols.

That last sentence sounds clever but I can't fully grok it. Do you
really mean "variable bindings" or just "bindings"? (including function's).

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 7:39 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Richard mentioned his profound dislike of solutions that operate in
> the reader.  I'm not sufficiently familiar with Common Lisp's package
> system to have a strong opinion on that, but Richard's criticism does
> appeal to me (I've been brought up on namespace systems more like
> Standard ML's structures).

I can't even imagine what a solution that _doesn't_ operate on the reader
looks like. Are you talking about form walking macros that walk the
forms and switch the short version of names into the long versions
and intern everything into the same obarray?  Hmmm.

João