Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 17:04:27 +0100

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Clément Pit-Claudel
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 04/05/2020 06.52, João Távora wrote:
> > An here's the idea: if the compiler uses the lexical-binding file-local var
> > when compiling specific files, or functions inside those files, why can't
> > it use a local-namespaces var when reading symbols?  I think this
> > very idea was floated at the time, but I can't find it.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-07/msg00738.html maybe?
> I think your proposal is quite close to Nic's

Yes it is.  Thanks you very much!  And his blog post describing the
is very good:

http://nic.ferrier.me.uk/blog/2013_06/adding-namespaces-to-elisp

Can't tell, but  it seems the thing fizzled partially because some people
wanted other systems.  I would also prefer CL packages but if a lower
effort thing can solve _some_ problems, and be backward compatible
and not slow down compilation, maybe we should give it a shot.

Anyway, are there any contemporary objections to Nic's plan, in
particular I am interested in knowing if there any any major objections
to Nic's reader logic:

- given a string X
- lookup X in the local obarray
- if it exists return the symbol
- else
-  lookup X in the global obarray
-  if it exists return the symbol
-  else
-    add the symbol to the local obarray

João