Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 19:00:39 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,
>   address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:23:25 -0400
>
> > lgstring-char is an internal function, why do we care about its name?
>
> That's a surprising answer: Imagine the author of `markdown-mode` were
> to define a function `lgstring-foo`.  We don't disallow it, but we
> strongly discourage such things.

How is this different from the author of foo-mode defining a function
named copy-alist?

Every language has a set of reserved names.  In some languages, those
names are well-defined, in others they are less well-defined.  But
they are reserved nonetheless, and defining a function that already
exists without meaning to overload it is not a good idea.

(And anyway, how is this relevant to the issue at point?  Don't we
have enough of the deluge without adding tangents?)