Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 02:47:44 +0300

On 03.05.2020 22:49, João Távora wrote:
We really should work on the completion experience instead of naming.
If I can't drive straight, I'm not going to twist the road to compensate.

I can suggest a different analogy: if the road is twisted and full of holes, it doesn't matter how fast or reliable your car is. :-) You'll be late to your destination anyway.

So, I get along quite nicely with flex + fido-mode with the current naming.
But that doesn't mean we can't improve the completion styles to be as
good as those that have a more free-form search.

I'm sure there's something to improve there, and more capability is always good, but when the user has to compensate for the API difficulty with specially-tweaked search terms, that's not too great either.

> Reasonably simple
> ML techniques come to mind for relevancy scoring, for example.

Usage-based sorting? I don't like that in general, and it doesn't fit all situations.