Re: Use elisp--xref-backend in *Apropos* and *Help* (Was Re: [ELPA] New

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Use elisp--xref-backend in *Apropos* and *Help* (Was Re: [ELPA] New package: transient)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 05:08:34 +0300

On 02.05.2020 14:09, João Távora wrote:
Since we're on the subject of Elisp development help, can we restart the
discussion on how to get the `elisp--xref-backend` activated in *Apropos*
and help?  The default `etags--xref-backend` isn't very useful there.  Plus,
when one is used to M-. and M-, it's a little strange to have to switch to C-h o
to follow the very commonly occurring references to symbols.

I recall correctly, we had already settles that it's a decently good idea,
but we ran into some loading precedence problem and the effort stalled.
Is that the right recollection?  It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense,
since all we apparently need is `add-hook`.

I suggest you go ahead and try.

Anyway, it can be argued that `elisp--xref-backend` isn't the _best_ choice
for those buffers, and that we should be taking the user to say, the manual
when searching from those places.  Or maybe, the `elisp--xref-backend` could
also collect matches from the manual, why not?

The manual? Probably not. M-. is supposed to take the user to the symbol's definition, isn't it? And definitions are in source code.