Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 10:09:23 +0800

> That approach to problem can have disadvantages.
> In general, for the kind of packages that we would
> like to include in Emacs, we should push for that kind of solution.

Language servers are external programs, not "packages" that can be
bundled inside Emacs.  I personally don't find anything wrong if the
language server isn't non-free.

> We should not treat "autoloaded from elsewhere" as equivalent to
> "included".  Where something is distributed DOES make a difference.

I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying that I'm not sure we can include
every popular language server with Emacs.  A lot of competing editors
however have a nice interface for installing language servers from a
central source, and having that in Emacs would indeed be nice.