Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 06:22:22 +0000

> It is not that they are lazy, just like people who use a machine to do their
> laundry instead of doing it by hand, they use tools that have been developed
> without the historical constraints of Emacs.

The majority of developers don't like to mold their editor so much, like
hardcore emacs users mold emacs.

They may change the colors, the fonts, maybe some keybindings, but
that's it. They want an editor which looks pleasant and does most
things out of the box without additional tinkering.

VSCode does this well. It provides a great out of box experience, most
things work out of the box, or just a plugin install away. In case of
LSP it may also download and install an LSP server, not just a client.

Most developers want an experience like this where everything works
with minimal tinkering.

I don't think it's realistic for Emacs to compete with that. There are
the legal issues, for example, which I assume prevent installing
Non-GNU binaries from the net and not all LSP servers have GNU license
AFAIK.