Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 18:08:52 +0800

ndame <address@hidden> writes:

> VSCode does this well. It provides a great out of box experience, most
> things work out of the box, or just a plugin install away. In case of
> LSP it may also download and install an LSP server, not just a client.

IIRC, lsp-mode has good support for automagically downloading popular
LSP servers.  Perhaps that could be added to eglot?

> I don't think it's realistic for Emacs to compete with that. There are
> the legal issues, for example, which I assume prevent installing
> Non-GNU binaries from the net and not all LSP servers have GNU license
> AFAIK.

There are legal issues with shipping code /with/ Emacs that has not been
copyright assigned to the FSF.  I don't think anyone would mind if a
package shipped with Emacs automatically downloaded and installed a
free language server. (and I haven't actually seen any non-free language
servers.)

If memory serves, someone proposed finding promising new packages and
asking the authors about including it inside Emacs (or ELPA).  I find
that would also be a nice idea.