Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Tadeus Prastowo
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:59:46 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 10:48 AM Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> May I know why instead of an RFE for a migration to have those
>> features, haven't you already set up one much like what a GNU/Linux
>> distro usually sets up to collect things pending upstream intake?
>

> I'm sorry but I don't understand this question. We are talking about adding a
> gitlab workflow to the existing mailing list workflow so that gitlab/github
> users are happier and more prone to contributing. I don't understand what you
> are asking about this topic.

You gave the following links as examples that I suppose are intended
to strengthen your argument:
> https://github.com/bbatsov/projectile/pull/1386
> https://github.com/moby/moby/pull/38823
> https://github.com/Silex/docker-emacs/pull/24

AFAIK, those three links have nothing to do with the things that are
discussed in this mailing list, which mostly concerns the Emacs core.

The gitlab workflow that is proposed in this thread, however, is
concerned with the things that are discussed in this mailing list
(Emacs core).  Hence, I expect that the links given as examples would
be about pull requests for things related to Emacs core that had not
been taken upstream by those in this mailing list.

>> Additionally, if some packages are better maintained external to the
>> core Emacs, why not let them be so rather than trying to bringing them
>> contributing directly to the core?
>

> Again I don't understand what external packages have to do with the topic. We
> are not talking about including external packages to core Emacs.

No, we are not talking about including external packages.  Hence, do
you have examples that support your argument that there are people out
there who would contribute to the Emacs core provided that the Emacs
core development adopts the gitlab model?

--
Best regards,
Tadeus