Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 20:15:45 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 16:13:53 +0200
>
> the Savannah UI is mostly unused by everybody.

Savannah UI and Savannah are not identical, far from that.

> Of course not. Not every potential contributor anyway. Further, if I'm
> reviewing a random patch, *I* don't know if the contribution satisfies
> the CA requirements. If an automatic checking process were available, I
> could just respond with "Thanks!" and merge.

Such automated checking is n ot easy to set up, because the copyright
assignment database includes some details that are private and cannot
be exposed to public interfaces.  So someone will have to come up with
a service that publishes only the public parts of that, and even then
there will be some rare cases where a manual check will be needed.

> >> At least some of these checks could be automated on a CI.
> >
> > They can also be automated by Git commit hooks.  It's just a matter of
> > someone doing the job.
>
> Hooks can help, but if Emacs doesn't even allow one to *commit* a
> change, it might discourage that person from continuing, or
> investigating the failed requirement. We can add too many checks to
> commit hooks.

It is all too easy to disable/bypass the hooks, as you probably know
very well.  So this doesn't sound like an important issue to me.

> Further, documentation could be in a separate commit

It shouldn't be.

> And we can't check for copyright assignment inside a git hook because
> the information isn't publicly available.

See above.

> > And I didn't say I was against adding CI to Emacs, that wasn't at all
> > the intent of my comments.  I just wanted to make the issue more
> > complete and balanced, because it isn't as clear-cut as the OP seemed
> > to indicate in the original message.
>
> I think the core message is sound. He said "easier", not "easy":
>
> """
> migrating to gitlab should make contributions easier for bigger part of
> the open-source world, peoples who used to github and gitlab
> """

If that was the only sentence in that message, I probably wouldn't
have responded at all.  The purpose of my response was to provide a
more balanced picture to those who might be unaware of the details.