Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:56:26 +0100

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:13:15 +0100
From: Ergus <address@hidden>

Can you solve this problem by using the :height attribute whose value
is 1.0 (a floating-point number) for the face of the character?  If
that doesn't work, we might introduce a special feature for this use
case.

I'll try this in a while to see how the experience changes. If we set
that this way the font will autoresize depending of the height of the
current column?

Anyway I think the discussion in progress can give a different answer. I
will wait a bit more to get a recommendation. Or a solution that promise
to be better.

In any case, I think this use case is rare enough to leave it for
subsequent improvements.  It doesn't sound as show-stopper to me.

Or use a different type of glyph in graphical mode... maybe an image as
the fci package does? Is that possible?

It should be possible to use an image, yes.  Does the fci package
solve the use case of lines that are taller than default, as in Info
or EWW?  If so, what do they do -- use a larger slice of an image
according to the line height or something?  Because using an image
still needs to solve the problem of displaying a taller image when the
line's height is larger than the default.

The XPM image seems to be a good enough approach according to Alp's
comment/experience, but it only solves a part of the problem. But I
haven't go in the details of what they do and I don't want to over
specify the functionality or produce too much overhead.

One more potential issue that I think you should test is when the
fringes are disabled on GUI frames, and we usurp the last column of
the text area to display continuation and truncation glyphs there, as
we do on TTY frames.  If the fill-column is equal to the last column
of the window, or to one before the last, I think you will need to
augment your comparison with it->last_visible_x in this case.

The code that adds the information looks to run later, so the line is
hidden in that case, which for me is the expected behavior. Otherwise I
didn't understand the issue.

Apart from that there, are some corrections I made in order to fix some
background issues I observed in graphical mode.

In graphical interfaces the space after the line is always filled with
the background color of the face of the last produced glyph, even if I
reset it to the saved value after the generation. The only solution I
found so far was to add an extra glyph after reset the face to the
default (saved) value, but hopefully there is a better way?