Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:20:17 +0100

Hi Eli:

Here I add a WIP patch for the current implementation so far.

Please tell me any problem you see related or not with my questions to
fix them too.
Best,
Ergus

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:29:30 +0100
From: Ergus <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Sorry for being so annoying.

Nothing to be sorry about.

I tried:
    if (!row->reversed_p)
        {
          while (glyph >= start
                 && (glyph->type == CHAR_GLYPH
                     || glyph->type == STRETCH_GLYPH)
                 && NILP (glyph->object))
            --glyph;
        }

But it didn't work. The behavior is the same: the whitespace is
highlighted only when the line is crossed.

I guess at this point I'd need to see the code to help you more.

Alternatively, you could step with a debugger through the code of
highlight_trailing_whitespace and see why it isn't working.  It should
be something simple, I think.

The other corner case I have is because in graphical mode the space for
the dot is always reserved, so when the last character in the line is
just before the line, the line is not drawn for that line.

Sorry, I don't understand: what is "the dot" in this context, and what
do you mean by "just before the line"?  There are too many "lines" in
this sentence, so I'm confused.

In text mode I fixed this changing a while for a do while, but in
graphical mode the approach is different.

Well, it sounds like again seeing the code should explain what I don't
understand.