Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 14:26:36 +0200

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:56:26 +0100
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Anyway I think the discussion in progress can give a different answer. I
> will wait a bit more to get a recommendation. Or a solution that promise
> to be better.

OK, we are waiting for your legal paperwork anyway.

> >One more potential issue that I think you should test is when the
> >fringes are disabled on GUI frames, and we usurp the last column of
> >the text area to display continuation and truncation glyphs there, as
> >we do on TTY frames.  If the fill-column is equal to the last column
> >of the window, or to one before the last, I think you will need to
> >augment your comparison with it->last_visible_x in this case.
> >
> The code that adds the information looks to run later, so the line is
> hidden in that case, which for me is the expected behavior. Otherwise I
> didn't understand the issue.

My concern was that it->last_visible_x is not the last pixel you can
use for the indicator, because there must be space left for the
continuation and truncation glyphs.  But if you tested that use case
and the code works, I'm happy.

> In graphical interfaces the space after the line is always filled with
> the background color of the face of the last produced glyph, even if I
> reset it to the saved value after the generation. The only solution I
> found so far was to add an extra glyph after reset the face to the
> default (saved) value, but hopefully there is a better way?

I don't think I understand what face is "the face of the last produced
glyph".  is that the face of the indicator character, is that the
default face, or is that something else?  Can you show a screenshot?