Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2018 21:32:49 +0200

On 2018-10-06 at 21:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I understand.  I'm just saying that adding a backslash between the
> U+2019 quote will not significantly improve the situation, because
> Emacs Lisp uses backslashes in many other situation, like ?\", and
> therefore the mere fact that there is a backslash doesn't necessarily
> alert the human reader to the existence of an unusual character.

I think what is wanted here is not to alert of unusual character but
alert of a non-syntaxically-relevant (for the reader) character, such as
?\', which quotes (or be it ?\", or ?\(, or ?\), etc.), which looks like
a character that will have syntactic consequences (like quoting), while
being a “normal” (part of the symbol) character.  Like not alerting two
symbols may look alike (the ՚open-server/´open-server case), but one
thing which is a symbol, unquoted (like \'open-server, which is evident
it’s a symbol because of the backslash, since afaik no character
preceded by a backslash can do something with syntax, apart being part
of a symbol (thus the behavior is clear)), and the other which *not* be
a unquoted symbol at all (like 'open-server, which just returns the
symbol).

I guess the same issue indeed arise with ?¸, or anything alike, that
won’t unquote the next symbol.