Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 18:25:44 -0400

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 10:00, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > afaik there are also problems in other contents than source code about
> > undistinguishable unicode character, such as the latin ?o and the
> > cyrillic ?ะพ (the first example of unicode-powered typosquatting I ever
> > heard), the different spaces (sometimes not distinguishable in monospace
[...]
> This is the more general problem I mentioned up-thread:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-10/msg00052.html
>
> I agree that we should improve Emacs in that area, but I think it
> would be wrong to hold off fixing the issue with quotes because the
> more general problem is solved.

Right, I do see the quotes thing as an obvious place to start, and due
to how difficult the more general issue is, starting with enhancement
of existing warnings and existing errors make sense. It addresses the
immediate problem of confusiong from curly quotes, and we can add more
confusable characters later without fear of breaking anything.