Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2018 21:29:26 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 11:03:25 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > these examples are not relevant to the issue at hand,
> > which is only about quotes
>
> Quotes are part of the same problem.

Yes, but a much smaller part.  And solving the problem with quotes
doesn't require to solve the more general one.

>     (ignore-errors (gnus-get-function method 'open-server))
>
> Change that APOSTROPHE (U+0027) to RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (U+2019) and
> the
> code will look the same but do something quite different, with no diagnostic.

I understand.  I'm just saying that adding a backslash between the
U+2019 quote will not significantly improve the situation, because
Emacs Lisp uses backslashes in many other situation, like ?\", and
therefore the mere fact that there is a backslash doesn't necessarily
alert the human reader to the existence of an unusual character.