Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:58:07 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, at 4:06 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I just tested the construction of a GNU ELPA package for CC-
mode using>>> the :core thingy of elpa.git and everything looks good.
Who's going to be testing this?  I've a slight suspicion that
sometimes>> people add things to CC Mode that depend on things in master.
That would>> be subotimal for ELPA.
This has not proved to be a problem for other packages we handle this> way
(e.g. soap-client, python.el, ...).
One of the reasons is that it's so cheap&quick to release a new
version> that such problems are trivial to solve if/when they show up.

cc-mode is not only used inside core Emacs, but also by third party
developers.
[...]

I'm not suggesting to remove CC-mode from Emacs.  Only to *additionally*
distribute it via GNU ELPA.

        Stefan

I realize that.

I was just pointing out how that can make handling compatibility harder than it used to be for packages and major-modes which derives from cc-mode.

It seems though, as my suggestion to make this less of a problem (separate versioning for cc-mode accessible through programmatic means, c-version) is already implemented and in place, and as a third-party package author, I can transition to verify against that instead of emacs-version.

--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen