Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 13:56:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eli,

>> The "Version:" header could just as well be THE version.
>
> For packages which already have some "version" string somewhere, why
> cannot we teach package.el to look for them, when it doesn't find the
> "Version:" header?  I think this should be easy to implement (we could
> ask the package maintainers to add something or use some standard
> format, if what we already have is not enough), and should leave
> everyone happy.  Right?

Sounds good. Tramp is suffering from the same problem. It's version is
`tramp-version' in file trampver.el. This file is generated by the
autoconf/configure mechanism, when I release a new Tramp version.

Nothing, which belongs to a "Version:" header in tramp.el. This is one
of the problems, which hinders me to bring Tramp into GNU ELPA.

As compromise, I generate already a "Version:" header in trampver.el,
but this is not understood by package.el (yet).

Best regards, Michael.