Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 11:43:53 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 18:17:22 -0400
>
> > and is THE version of CC Mode.  The proposed VERSION: header is not
> > a part of CC Mode, it is part of ELPA, recording the number of the
> > ELPA release only.
>
> The "Version:" header could just as well be THE version.

For packages which already have some "version" string somewhere, why
cannot we teach package.el to look for them, when it doesn't find the
"Version:" header?  I think this should be easy to implement (we could
ask the package maintainers to add something or use some standard
format, if what we already have is not enough), and should leave
everyone happy.  Right?