Re: Include modern-cpp-font-lock into GNU Emacs

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Include modern-cpp-font-lock into GNU Emacs
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:54:16 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, at 1:28 PM, Andy Moreton wrote:
On Mon 20 Aug 2018, Jostein Kjønigsen wrote:
As I've mentioned in another reply on this subject, decoupling cc-mode
releases from Emacs-releases will make it harder for third-party major-
modes deriving from cc-mode to maintain compatibility when cc-mode
introduces breaking changes.
Currently we can inspect "cc-mode version" by checking emacs-version,
and dispatching compatible code based on that.

Checking version numbers is the wrong approach for feature detection,
and should only be a last resort if checking behaviour is not practical.

If an ELPA package results in more frequent updates to cc-mode then
third party extension authors will simply have to adapt to a slightly
faster release cadence.

    AndyM

Agreed, but (to my knowledge) Emacs lacks proper introspection capacities, and there's no way up front to know if  a function requires 3 or 5 parameters until you've called it and your code has crashed.

Compared to that, verifying version numbers against known points of change seem like a much better strategy. It is also the advice I've received from other people around in the Emacs-community.

--
Regards
Jostein Kjønigsen