Re: Include modern-cpp-font-lock into GNU Emacs

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Include modern-cpp-font-lock into GNU Emacs
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:28:07 +0100

On Mon 20 Aug 2018, Jostein Kjønigsen wrote:
> As I've mentioned in another reply on this subject, decoupling cc-mode
> releases from Emacs-releases will make it harder for third-party major-
> modes deriving from cc-mode to maintain compatibility when cc-mode
> introduces breaking changes.
> Currently we can inspect "cc-mode version" by checking emacs-version,
> and dispatching compatible code based on that.

Checking version numbers is the wrong approach for feature detection,
and should only be a last resort if checking behaviour is not practical.

If an ELPA package results in more frequent updates to cc-mode then
third party extension authors will simply have to adapt to a slightly
faster release cadence.

    AndyM