Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:16:55 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
we should choose our JIT library so that it doesn't
suffer from such issues

Yes, of course that would be preferable. However, performance variation is just one factor, and other factors in JIT libraries are just as important, if not more so. We shouldn't have this one factor overriding everything else.

Besides, none of the JIT approaches we're talking about are free from the issues Daniel raised: they all have significant performance differences on different platforms. If we're going to reject a JIT approach merely because a 3x performance improvement on one platform isn't equally shared by other platforms, we might as well just be up front about it and say we're going to reject all JIT approaches.

(If performance variation is really a problem, we could have Emacs default to running slowly on all platforms, and speed up only when the user asks it to. :-)