Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 15:38:44 -0700

On 08/14/2018 02:03 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
Randomly
varying the performance of loaded elisp code to such a degree depending on
the presence of various system tools is unacceptable

Are you're saying you'd rather have predictably bad performance, than have an application that sometimes has the bad performance in some situations, and 3x better performance in other situations? If this is a real issue, we can easily arrange for Emacs to have predictably bad performance all the time (for people who prefer this), by having a configure-time or run-time option that says "I want predictably-bad performance". However, I expect most users would rather have 3x better performance when it's available.