Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:37:25 -0700

This sounds very interesting. I assume you'd publish it first on a branch so that we could look at it? Some questions:

I have only tested this on x86-64.  Whether or not the JIT works on a
given platform is primarily up to libjit.  (I suspect the JIT won't work
on x86 with --with-wide-int; but that is something I could fix.)

When you say "doesn't work", does that mean Emacs can reliably tell the JIT won't work and fall back on the current bytecode implementation, or something else?

libjit never frees functions.  So, if a function is JIT-compiled
and then redefined, the old JIT code will linger.  It's possible to fix
this with a custom allocator and a libjit patch (that I sent but that
hasn't been checked in yet).

libjit has only one committer, Aleksey, and no commits since March. Is there a bottleneck there?