Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 14:03:27 -0700

> On 08/14/2018 01:11 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> I still think that needing binutils for ordinary use is a non-starter.
>
> That shouldn't be an issue since Emacs would fall back on the
> traditional C interpreter when gcc-jit is not available or not used. So
> binutils would not be necessary for normal use, it's merely something
> that will improve performance if available.

No. The performance difference under discussion here will make the
difference between certain applications being feasible or not. Randomly
varying the performance of loaded elisp code to such a degree depending on
the presence of various system tools is unacceptable and will create a
terrible impression among end users.