Re: bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 21:32:29 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 10:31:41 -0700
>
> For what it's worth, I almost always rebase rather than merge, as this makes
> it
> easier for later maintainers to understand the changes.
>
> There's a tension here between maintaining metadata (that is, info about who
> made a change and when and in what context), versus maintaining data (that
> is,
> the software itself). Merging prioritizes metadata, whereas rebasing
> prioritizes
> data. When I'm spelunking through development history I'm almost always more
> interested in data, so I prefer changes to be rebased.

To each their own.  Here's an opposite data point: a week or so ago, a
question asked on reddit required me to recall why I made a certain
minor change while developing the native line numbers.  Fortunately, I
merged my feature branch in its entirety, and so I could still see the
commit on the branch which introduced the change together with its log
message which explained why I did that.