Re: bignum branch

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 12:17:28 +0100

On Mon 06 Aug 2018, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Andy> ok, then maybe XINTEGER would still be useful.
> Andy> On the bignum branch that code would now be:
> Andy>     if (FIXNATP (foo))
> Andy>       x = XFASTINT (foo);
> Andy> Perhaps XFASTINT should be renamed XFIXNAT to be consistent.
>
> It's easy to do these kinds of renamings, since it's just a simple
> "sed -i".
>
> So, if Eli or Paul can let me know what they want, I can do it.

>From other comments in this thread, it seems there is agreement that
ending up with consistent naming is desirable.

> As far as I know the branch is ready.  I have two uncommitted patches:
> one for dumping (just sent) and one to use mpz_import (that I can't
> test).  The second one seems like a minor improvement and could probably
> be dropped.

The mpz_import patch [1] results in appears to cause a problem in the CCL
tests. I'll report back when I have time to look into it further.

I haven't yet tested the purecopy patch [2], as nothing needs it yet.
The patch also uses the underlying representation rather than using the
low level API, so I think the patch still needs some work. However it
should not block merging to master.

    AndyM

[1] mpz_import patch:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-08/msg00103.html