Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming (was: Making Emacs Manuals Av

From: Van L
Subject: Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming (was: Making Emacs Manuals Available as PDF Files)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 10:25:19 +1000

> Richard Stallman writes:
>
> Thank you very much in advance for updating the Lisp intro.  Please
> keep us posted.

I began to read it in the info pages form and reached page 33 before learning
from the previous thread it could be rendered as PDF. The intro is almost 300
pages in full. I had expected 60 pages.

Stopping at page 45 in the PDF (page 61 of 271 in the PDF viewer) and looking
back, the word `simple’ was added in 2013 and has not been applied consistently.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  * Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).    A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp
                                    programming.

  f9405d87 (Glenn Morris             2013-12-11   102) * Emacs Lisp Intro:
(eintr).    A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.

  8cda6f8f (Glenn Morris             2007-09-06   172) @center @titlefont{An
Introduction to}
  8cda6f8f (Glenn Morris             2007-09-06   173) @sp 2
  8cda6f8f (Glenn Morris             2007-09-06   174) @center
@titlefont{Programming in Emacs Lisp}

  8cda6f8f (Glenn Morris             2007-09-06   206) @top An Introduction to
Programming in Emacs Lisp
#+END_EXAMPLE

For others who may want to follow along, I used (vc-annotate) or `C-x v g’
inside:

  emacs/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi

to locate details in the example section above.

Details about Emac’s version control interface are in chapter 25 of the
emacs.pdf created by `make docs’ or in the info pages for Emacs 26.1 rc-1 in
`28 Maintaining Large Programs’.

> I expect that the support for lexical scoping will call for some
> sort of change to the manual -- though I am not certain.

For now, I’ll read it carefully and keep an eye out for errorneous statements.
Hopefully others will join and a collective 15-minutes everyday from
contributors around the world will improve the manual.