Re: Propagating local variables?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Propagating local variables?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:46:03 -0700

SM> I only mentioned it as a mechanism to share a variable among various
SM> buffers. We could decide that shell.el obeys a `parent-buffer` variable
SM> (presumably set by some other package) when non-nil by fetching the
SM> buffer-local `process-environment' of that buffer.

There are too many other cases where this is needed. Expecting it to happen
"by convention" means it won't happen in many cases where it should, simply
because the idea of referencing a parent buffer was omitted.

Now if we could go deeper down, and say that `process-environment' itself is a
"buffer group-local" variable, instead of just a buffer-local variable...

I guess what I want is object-based scoping for dynamic variables, rather than
just the global/local distinction we have now.